Earlier this week, my wife won a chest of drawers from an online auction. Sure enough when we get it home and examine the piece, we discovered there was significant water damage to the chest that the auction company failed to mention (what a surprise!). In fact, one of the drawers was so bad that the bottom plywood was peeling away. She asked me if I could fix it, so I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of 1/4″ X 24″ X 48″ underlayment plywood for about $5.00.
The first thing I did to the drawer was carefully pop off the glue blocks from the under side with a paring chisel as I was planning on reusing them.
I then carefully popped off the drawer runner being careful not to damage it. Fortunately, it wasn’t glued to the drawer bottom making it easy to clean up.
Then with a dead blow hammer, I gently popped off the sides of the drawers hoping not to damage the dovetail joints.
After cutting the new piece of plywood to size, I saw that the new drawer bottom was a little thicker than the original, so I widened all the grooves to the drawer with my table saw.
Once all the grooves were widened, I dry fitted the drawer back together making sure everything fitted properly.
I then glued the drawer back together including the support blocks back on the bottom.
After about a half an hours worth of work, the drawer was back in business and nicely fitted back in the piece.